For those of you who may not know, our little guy, Brycson, came to this Earth as what we would like to call and over achiever. He was born with 10 toes and 11, that's right
11 fingers! He has an extra pinky finger on his left hand. Many people have talked about how cool it is. What a great baseball player he would make, or what a great guitar player he could be. Our friend Haley told us that it is a really big deal and considered a blessing in India if you or your child are born with six fingers! Whatever talents may be helped by such a unique situation, we feel that the limitations and possible teasing as a school-aged kid outweigh any benefits. Luckily Shriner's Hospital accepted our application and will be taking care of removing his extra digit for FREE! We went in for a consult and X-rays on Monday, apparently an extra pinky on the outside is hereditary. We may not have to deal with any other children having the same problem, but Brycson's children may end up with extras. We thought that was interesting. His surgery is scheduled for September 15th. The doctor is one of the best hand surgeons in the state and is very confident that it will be a simple procedure. He should be able to come home the same day! I must admit that it took a while for me to get used to his hand looking so odd, but now it will be weird to see him with only five fingers. We're definitely nervous about our child having to go through surgery at such a young age but want to get things taken care of when he hopefully won't remember much, and won't be so used to his extra finger that he'll have to adapt to not having it there. These are some of the better pictures I could find of what his hand looks like now. We'll keep you posted on the upcoming event.


6 comments:
I am really excited for you! Even though it is super cool to have 11 fingers, your little man will thank you some day. Good luck!
You will be in our prayers! We love that little guy! Congrats on getting into Shriners...that is GREAT news!
That is such great news Amy! I'm so happy to hear that your application was accepted and that the surgery will be done for free. I'm sure everything will go well, but we will keep you guys in our prayers!
Well that just tells us that he is just a really special, and adorable kiddo. Hope all goes well.
TTFN,
Ashlee
wow, what a hard decision to have to make! I am so glad it isn't me. Good luck with the surgery and I'm really glad you don't have to pay for it! that is awesome.
O WOW!!!!
I had no idea. That will be good to take care of when he is so young. Keep us posted on this...
Good Luck!!
Post a Comment